Friday, June 06, 2008

The Alphabet Meme

For want of a real post I went and stole this off of Fusion's blog. It reflects my desire to write rambling thoughts but having no organizational skills today to do a real post.

So without further ado, I give you:

The Alphabet Meme

A is for your age:
47, middle aged since 47 is half of 94, and I don’t figure to make it much past 94 although I might since the female members of my family tend to live well into their 90’s.

B is for your burger of choice:
Black bean veggie burger with pepper jack cheese, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, onion and spicy brown mustard on a whole wheat bun.

C is for the car that you drive:
Black Pontiac Aztec. Funky and fun, the type of car you either love or hate. I happen to love mine.

D is for dog's name:
Jupiter. Why? I have no idea. It’s the name he had when we got him from the pound.

E is for an essential item you use each day:
Various meds, more all the time, to keep this old body running.

F is for your favorite television show:
Amazing Race, Big Brother, Survivor, The Mole (Can you tell I’m ever so slightly a reality show junkie?)

G is for favorite game:
Risk or backgammon, hard to choose between the two. Anybody willing to play backgammon against me on MSN Games without disappearing as soon as I start to win? Mostly I just play against the computer anymore since I never get to finish a game with a real person on the other end.

H is for hometown:
Oh no, too small to reveal here, let’s just say a tiny village in the rural Midwest, a few hundred hicks who hadn’t a clue they were hicks because they never ventured far enough away to see any different.

I is for instruments played:
In the order in which I learned to play them: piano, flute, oboe, organ, trombone. Mom taught me piano to keep me from pounding on the keys as a toddler. She started teaching me when I was three, and I ended my lessons when I was in second grade. If I’d kept up with it I might actually have gotten good. Flute was the first band instrument I played in grade school. Flutes and flautists, however, are a dime a dozen. I wanted something different, and my seventh grade band director wanted someone to play the school’s oboe. So I learned the oboe which other than a couple of obvious differences is very similar to playing the flute, but it makes you far more cool because it’s more unique. Mom wanted an organ in the worst way, and once the finances were such that they could do so my parents bought one. It’s a nice one – full set of foot pedals and everything. They still have it. Some think that if you can play piano you can play organ. Eh, sort of, but there’s a lot more to the organ than the piano. Mom taught me the basics that I needed to know to get by, and if it’s really an emergency, yes, I can play piano or organ at church. I learned trombone in high school because (a) my brother had a trombone he wasn’t using and (b) trombone was a “boy’s instrument.” Oh yeah, try and tell me I can’t because I’m a girl and then just watch me. Ha! I suppose if I’d stayed a child longer I’d have learned to play more instruments. I got bored once I got the basics down and just had to move on to the next thing. Jack of all trades, master of none.

J is for favorite juice:
Not a big fan of juice, but cranberry is my favorite when I do have juice. Grapefruit is my least favorite, and orange just seems so ordinary to me, but cranberry is good with a bit of a kick to it.

K is for what you'd like to kick:
W’s ass. If you need an explanation why then you ain’t been reading this blog.

L is for last restaurant you dined at:
Well, I went through the Starbucks drive-thru this morning for a muffin and iced mocha, but if we’re talking actual sit down dining it would be last night with BJ at a local Japanese restaurant, although as many Asian restaurants around here do they really served dishes from other Asian cuisines besides Japanese. I had the Tofu Pad Thai which is Thai (imagine that), not Japanese. The food was good, but not great, and not worth the prices they charged in my opinion. BJ may have a different opinion.

M is for your favorite Muppet:
Elmo. That wasn’t always true. I used to be a big Kermit the Frog fan when I was a kid. Once I had N though Elmo seemed to be the big Muppet star, and I gotta admit the little red fur ball grew on me. I probably squeezed Tickle Me Elmo more than N did. I’m just an overgrown kid in so many ways.

N is for number of piercings you have:
My ears, one hole in each. Does that count as one piercing or two? I have no desire to have any other part of my body pierced other than my ears. I’ve thought about going back and getting a second set of holes in my earlobes, but I have been thinking that for some 20 years and haven’t done it yet so it probably isn’t likely.

O is for overnight hospital stays:
Other than being born in a hospital I’ve only stayed for one night when I had my quite diseased gall bladder removed. I would’ve stayed longer, but they wouldn’t let me. Darned insurance companies. Where do they get off not letting me hang out and be waited on hand and foot and given periodic shots of Demerol? Huh! The nerve.

P is for people you were with today:
N, W for a few minutes when I dropped N off, the Starbucks drive-thru lady, my coworkers

Q is for what you do in quiet times:
Quiet times? There are quiet times? On the rare occasion that I have quiet times I generally sleep.

R is for regrets:
Marrying before developing my self esteem to a level where I didn’t feel the need to marry just anyone who was willing to have me.

S is for status:
Separated, headed for divorce, dating BJ, happy most of the time.

T is for time you woke up today:
5:45 a.m., and really that is no time to be getting up.

U is for what you consider unique:
The little blue birthmark on the left side of my face. My philosophical beliefs I think are also unique.

V is for favorite vegetable:
Asparagus, lightly steamed, with just a squeeze of lemon juice.

W is for your worst habit:
Picking my nose. Sorry, but you asked. Just trying to be honest here.

X is for x-rays you have had:
Standard dental x-rays throughout the years, right hand years ago when my boyfriend accidentally kicked it when we were goofing around, abdominal when I was a teen to find out I had a duodenal ulcer, right knee when I tripped over a curb several years ago, and then foot, ankle and leg when I got run over by the car earlier this year. Oh, and I almost forgot, I’m sure they must’ve taken some x-rays when I was a toddler and in the car accident when my mom drove off a small bridge into a creek and flipped the car. I’m pretty sure they would’ve done x-rays then, but I don’t really know. And no, I wasn’t injured in the accident other than a few bruises even though I was not in any kind of child seat or other restraint (we didn’t even really have those back then).

Y is for yummy food you ate today:
Lemon poppyseed muffin

Z is for zodiac sign:
Taurus, that stubborn bull. Go read a standard profile of a Taurus personality, and you’ll have about a 98% accurate description of me.

4 comments:

Fusion said...

Fun TS! I'm surprised how many people are doing this meme, thanks for joining in!

Looking forward to meeting you (and hopefully BJ?) in about a month.

Cheers!

Bunny said...

I also played the oboe (through college), but started at clarinet. By the time I finished high school, I could play all the woodwinds except flute and piccolo. The center of my upper lip disrupts the air flow across the instrument. But if it has a reed (or two), I could play it. At double reed camp we always used to say that oboists and bassoonists are the best kissers - think about it, the muscles get really developed from the embouchure! I tried picking up the oboe again a few years ago and realized how incredibly weak my lips have become!

At 40 I'm beyond middle age, I think. I don't expect to live much past 60. Between the diabetes I've had for 31 years and the colon cancer I'm sure to have by then, I'll be surprised by every year after 55 or so.

I pick my nose too. Sometimes there are things that just won't blow out! Sad thing is, my daughter is picking (pun intended) up the habit as well. And Boy chews his fingernails just like his dad. A couple of fabulous role models my kids have!

This was very interesting and I may steal it as well. I need to get back into the swing of blogging after being so freakin' busy lately.

Hugs!!

Bunny said...

Okay, I did this Alphabet meme and now I've tagged YOU for another one! Come on by and check it out!

Trueself said...

Fusion - Looking forward to meeting you too, and yes, BJ will be there too. Should be fun.

Bunny - Glad you stole it. It was interesting reading your answers, and yes, I will get around to doing the one you tagged me for soon.