Friday, June 13, 2008

Paraskavedekatriaphobia

Never heard of it? It’s the fear of Friday the 13th.

I try not to be superstitious. . . but I am. I just might as well admit it, because as much as I want it not to be true it is true. I can not pass a penny without picking it up, even though I tell myself that not picking it up will not in any way bring me bad luck. Yet I still pick it up. I will not walk under a ladder. I will turn another direction to avoid allowing a black cat to cross my path. I did finally get over the not stepping on a crack. That one was too hard, and I had ample proof that my mother’s back was just fine in spite of my stepping on many cracks.

And then there’s Friday the 13th. I have never had anything particularly bad happen to me on a Friday the 13th. As a matter of fact, the worst things that have happened in my life (like being hit by a car) happened neither on a Friday nor on the 13th of the month. Yet I get a little twinge anytime a month rolls around with the 13th falling squarely on a Friday. As irrational as it is, I am more cautious on that day than any other. As irrational as it is, anything that goes wrong that day I just chalk up to the day and date. As irrational as it is, if it turns out to be a pretty good day I feel like I’ve cheated fate.

As educated as I am I should know better than to believe in superstitions, and on one level, I don’t. However, there’s always that little voice in the back of my head that says, “Better safe than sorry.” I heed that voice and follow those superstitions “just in case.”

So what will I be doing today, Friday, June 13, 2008? Being very, very careful. I will drive extra carefully, watch extra carefully for traffic when walking, weigh my words extra carefully when speaking with those at work. After work, I’ll be heading to BJ’s for the weekend. I intend to snuggle in his arms and let him protect me until Saturday the 14th dawns.

5 comments:

Desmond Jones said...

Well, I don't know about where you work, but for me, Friday the 13th is always payday, so how bad can it be?

2amsomewhere said...

This one is for you, Trueself:

Stevie Ray Vaughan -- "Superstitious"

--
2amsomewhere

Fusion said...

I've actually had good things happen on Friday the 13th, and this one was no exception!

oldbear said...

Hi Truey, I thought it was (sp)

Triskadeccaphobia?

At any rate, i am a little superstitious about some things too. Mostly work things and things to do with tree felling.

I hope things went well for you this weekend! OB.

Trueself said...

Des - Ah you must be on the semi-monthly pay cycle. We, unfortunately, are on the biweekly pay cycle so, no Friday the 13th is not automatically a payday and wasn't this time.

2am - Why thank you. I enjoyed it very much (as I sat convalescing).

Fuse - Good for you! Glad you had a good one.

OB - Triskadeccaphobia is just the generic fear of the number 13 while paraskavedekatriaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th specifically. See? You learn something new every day!