Monday, January 26, 2009

Completely Different

Remember when I blogged just last week about last weekend? It was one hellaciously (spellcheck tells me that isn’t a word, but trust me it’s been in my vocabulary for years; it’s a perfectly good word; feel free to use it anytime) busy weekend. This weekend, on the other hand, was gloriously low key. Given that I was fighting off a cold that was a very good thing.

W had N for the weekend so right there I knew life would be easier. It’s just easier taking care of me than taking care of me and the boy. Friday after work BJ took me out to dinner, nothing fancy at all just Buffalo Wild Wings where I downed two Jack & Cokes along with way too much fried food followed by cheesecake. Nutritionally and calorically the weekend didn’t start off all that great, but taste-wise it couldn’t be beat! (If you haven’t tried their parmesan garlic sauce with their fish you really should, very soon.) Friday night we went to bed early. Nuff said.

Saturday morning we slept in. I awoke at 5:00 for the obligatory bathroom trip, but went back to bed and dozed off and on until around 9:20 when BJ awoke. We managed to get out of bed sometime between 10:30 and 11:00, brought on by a combination of hunger and lack of room service at my house. We tried waiting for the room service, but we finally gave up, showered, dressed and went out for breakfast at the best pancake house in town. That was around noon. After breakfast we had just enough time to head home, change cars, and head to the Illini basketball game against Wisconsin. It was a good close game, the Illini won, and BJ managed to snag extra tickets to next week’s Illini game against Iowa at less than face value from the nice man sitting next to us who can’t attend next week’s game. That means that BJ, N and I can go plus N can invite a buddy along which will be nice. It was about 5:00 by the time the game ended. BJ and I headed to the grocery where I picked up things I needed to make chili for dinner, along with a bagged salad and some frozen whole grain rolls. I made dinner when we got home. After we ate, we watched Jerry Maguire on TV. I may or may not have dozed some during the movie with my feet in BJ’s lap. We went to bed around 11:00 and fell asleep listening to Sports Center (my favorite show during basketball season).

Sunday morning I awoke around 7:30 to see that it was snowing outside. I wasn’t feeling very good due to my cold so I decided to call a personal snow day. No church for me, no outside activities, no getting dressed. I decided to hole up in the house in my pajamas for the day. I stayed snuggled warm in bed working Sudoku puzzles until BJ awoke around 9:00. I told him of my plans for a personal snow day, and he wholeheartedly approved. I went downstairs and made coffee for us to go along with the Danish we’d bought the night before. We had breakfast. We surfed the ‘net. We watched TV. Eventually (around 2:00) BJ went out and got lunch for us. After that he left for home, and I sat watching TV, playing computer games and dozing off and on until W brought N home between 5:30 and 6:00. I heated up frozen dinners for N and me. We ate dinner, watched more TV and went to bed early.

Yep, it was quite the contrast from last weekend. As guilty as I felt about being lazy this weekend it was much needed, and I’m sure my cold would be much worse now had I not taken it easy over the weekend.

Now here I am at work on Monday, and the coffeemaker is broken. It is little comfort to me to know that the vendor has been notified of the problem. It would be more comfort if someone would volunteer to run out for some coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts or McDonald’s. (What? They both make great coffee. Really. Better than the overpriced place from the great northwest.)

2 comments:

Fusion said...

Yes, Micky D's does a decent latte for a cheaper price, I learned that at a McCafe back in Melbourne. I get coffee there more often than the food (OK, I rarely ever eat at McDonald's). But better yet is the cappucinos I get at the HiCo store/gas station next to the McD's. 20 ounces of pure heaven for $1.37...

glad you had a restful weekend.

Bunny said...

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I think McDonald's new fancy-ish coffee is pretty darn good, especially for the price. Their iced coffee is really good. I like the coffee (hot and iced) at Speedway gas stations too and it is even less expensive. We don't have Speedway in S.C. and I miss it.

Maybe you can volunteer for the coffee run?