Friday, August 14, 2009

Sunday Stealing: Janana's Now Vs. Then Meme

Even in the depths of the black hole, it isn't always all bad. I do see streams of light here and there. I do enjoy certain things. I do have fun. I do smile genuinely occasionally. One of the things I've been enjoying recently is doing the Sunday Stealing memes. So here's the one from this past Sunday. It's a good one.




It's been a while since we had to post rules. But here we will list the relevent ones:
*Think back to ten years ago on this month.
*Write truthful answers and ELABORATE. This makes it more interesting!
*If you don't have a scanner you may omit #14 but I think if you do you should totally do it!
*It's about personal changes. Have fun with it!


Then: August 1999

1. Age: 38

2. Romantic Status: Married

3. Occupation: Accounting Manager

4. Fun night out: With a baby not yet a year old, these were so few and far between I haven’t a clue what we might have done for a fun night out.

5. My BFFs: Nina, Peg

6. I spent way too much time: Obsessing about how much I wanted a new job.

7. I spent not enough time: Appreciating everything I had, including a good job with great benefits and a beautiful wonderful baby boy.

8. I wanted to be when I grew up: Director of Finance

9. Biggest concern: Lack of sex, as it had been for several years.

10. What my biggest concern should have been: W’s lack of parenting skills, particularly since he was the stay at home parent.

11. Where did I live: Northern CA

12. Dumbest thing I did that year: Ignored the warnings both of W’s grown children gave me about his lack of parenting skills.

13. If I could go back now and talk to myself I would say: Appreciate what you have now, because it isn’t going to be long before things get much, much worse.

14. Picture of me then: Sorry, but if you know what I look like now you pretty much know what I looked like then. It was right before I started my weight loss journey and weighed then almost exactly what I weigh now.

Now: August 2009

1. Age: 48

2. Romantic Status: Separated

3. Occupation: Sr. Financial Analyst

4. Fun night out: Dinner and a Movie

5. My BFFs: Drama, C, Kristi

6. I spend way too much time: Obsessing about money.

7. I spend not enough time: Working on getting the divorce accomplished.

8. I want to be when I grow up: Mature

9. Biggest concern: Whether I’m being a good mom to N.

10. What my biggest concern should be: Pushing harder for a solution to my depression.

11. Where do I live: In the most perfect place on earth.

12. Dumbest thing I have done this year: Am I limited to just one? Because really I’ve done some pretty dumb things this year, most too dumb to even share here. Ok, ok, one of the dumbest things I’ve done this year is to wear brand new flip flops on water park day of our vacation which resulted in a massive blister under my second toe of my left foot. It took more than a week for it to stop hurting with every step.

13. What I think I would say to myself in 10 years: Less thinking and more action would have served you better.

Summary:

1. What do I miss most from 1999: having a baby in the family.

2. What do I miss least from 1999: having a baby in the family.

3. What have I accomplished in 10 years that I am most proud of: passed the CPA exam on my first try after a 20-something year hiatus.

4. What have I NOT accomplished in 10 years that I wish I had: I never did find the job of my dreams, even though the one I have now comes close. I miss the supervisory role that I used to have and the insight into the company one gets at the management level.

1 comment:

Fusion said...

Very interesting meme. Made me think back as well.