Monday, November 16, 2009

Step Away from the Social Networking Sites

Top two reasons I should have stayed off of Facebook this weekend:
  • Seeing a picture of J and his wife at their wedding reception where she is beautiful and all smiles and he looks like a condemned man which I found to be an interesting choice of pictures to post on his page.  (Also, an all white tux?  Really J?  *cringe*)
  • Seeing that BJ has changed his status back to “in a relationship.”

Question: Why do I want to torture myself that way?
Answer: I don’t.

 
Question: Do I intend to get on Facebook again soon?
Answer: Absolutely not.

 
Question: Why don’t I just avoid checking the pages of people whose updates are liable to upset me?
Answer: Lack of will power. I can’t resist trying to check on people who matter to me (even if I don’t matter to them or maybe particularly if I don’t matter to them).

 
Question: Why do I let these things get to me when clearly these weren’t the right men for me anyway?
Answer: I DON’T KNOW!!!!! Alright? I don’t know. I know it’s stupid. I know I should shift my focus elsewhere. I know, and I know, and I know. But I don’t know why these things get to me so badly. I just don’t know.

 
And now? I would just like to go lock myself in my room for the rest of the day, have a good cry and maybe take a really long nap. . . if only I didn’t have to be at work trying to focus on reports that must be created this week whether or not I feel up to the task.

3 comments:

2amsomewhere said...

You wrote:

Question: Why do I let these things get to me when clearly these weren’t the right men for me anyway?

Answer: I DON’T KNOW!!!!! Alright? I don’t know. I know it’s stupid. I know I should shift my focus elsewhere. I know, and I know, and I know. But I don’t know why these things get to me so badly. I just don’t know.


I don't know the answers myself, Trueself, but I'll offer up a guess, and you're welcome to shoot it down as BS.

The narrative of inadequacy and rejection has become so integrated with your sense of identity that there is a part of you that refuses to give it up because it fears that nothing will be left in its absence.

I only suggest this because I have struggled with that same narrative in many areas of my life. In some places I have defeated it. In others, it is still an active conflict.

I hope you find peace.

--
2amsomewhere

Fusion said...

Just delete them from your friends list? You don't need to see that stuff anymore...

Trueself said...

2am,
The narrative of inadequacy and rejection has become so integrated with your sense of identity that there is a part of you that refuses to give it up because it fears that nothing will be left in its absence.

Bingo! I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Fusion,

I know I should, but it's like a train wreck. I can't help but look even though I know it isn't pleasant to do so.