Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sunday Stealing – The Movie Meme

Good grief. What did I get myself into here? I am not an all time great movie aficionado by any stretch of the imagination. I like what I like which is not necessarily a critical or box office success. My tastes in movies, like my tastes in many things, is eclectic.  Also, my picks may lead you to believe I am even older than I am.  I like a lot of the old classics in spite of them being made before I was born.

With all those disclaimers made, let’s plunge in.


1. What is your all-time favorite movie costume?
Scarlett’s dress made from the drapes in Gone with the Wind.

2. What classic film would you nominate for a remake?
None of them. I love the originals too much. Although perhaps, if properly done, a remake of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House might be good.

3. Name your favorite femme fatale.
Scarlett O’Hara of course.

4. Name the best movie title.
IMHO, a title is just a title. Who really cares? I will say that I prefer a title that tells me something about the movie without me having to work to figure out the connection.

5. Describe the worst performance by a child actor that you’ve ever seen.
I know I’m in the minority here, but I can’t stand Shirley Temple when she was a child actor. She only got better in her teens.

6. Who gets your vote for most tragic movie monster?
King Kong. He was so misunderstood, making him terribly tragic.

7. What is the one Western that you would recommend to anybody?
In general, I hate Westerns. However, Newman and Redford made Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid worth watching. Love the scene of Paul Newman riding the bicycle with BJ Thomas’ song Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on Your Head in the background.

8. Who is your ideal movie-viewing partner?
Anyone who will sit down, shut up and watch the movie without disturbing me.

9. Has a film ever made you want to change your life? If so, what was the film?
Just about every movie I’ve ever seen.

10. Think of one performer that you truly love. Now think of one scene/movie/performance of theirs that is too uncomfortable for you to watch.
Jamie Lee Curtis in any of the Halloween movies.

11. On the flip side, think of one really good scene/performance/movie from a performer that you truly loathe.
Pauly Shore in Son in Law. That movie is one of my guilty pleasures.

12. What is your favorite romantic comedy?
When Harry Met Sally

13. What is your favorite drama?
Gone with the Wind

14. Worst film you've seen?
Bridesmaids. Have no clue why other people liked it.

15. How do you feel about the majority of romantic films being labeled "chick flicks"?
I’m fine with that.

16. Favorite on-screen couple?
Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert in It Happened One Night

17. Favorite off-screen couple?
Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward

18. Best kiss in a movie?
Rick and Ilsa in Casablanca

19. Favorite scene?
The scene in When Harry Met Sally when Harry explains why men and women can’t be friends.

20. Who are 2 film characters you wished had gotten together, but never did?
Harry Potter and Hermione Grainger. Yes, I know it wasn’t meant to be, but dang it that’s what I wanted to see.

21. Two actors you think would have great chemistry, but have never done a film together?
Jimmy Stewart and Marilyn Monroe. I’m not certain they never did a movie together, but I’m not aware of one. I think there could have been great chemistry there although I suspect Monroe would have pushed Stewart’s patience to the limit.

22. Favorite song in a film (doesn't have to be from a musical)?
Shall We Dance? From The King and I

23. Best score from a film?
The soundtrack from The Glenn Miller Story

24. Best film quote?
Here’s looking at you kid. (said by Rick in Casablanca)

25. A film you'd recommend that is a "Must See" for us to watch?
The Philadelphia Story

No comments: