Friday, May 22, 2009

Scattershot

I am so out of here for the holiday weekend so in spite of the fact that I have a somewhat meatier post what you get today is just a compilation of little thoughts, presented in no particular order, which I am saving here for myself so when I look back through this blog many years from now I’ll remember what my life was like at this point in time.

• N’s soccer team went undefeated in their spring season. It has amazed me to see how well this team has pulled together this year. There are some really good soccer players on that team. Last night N had a couple of good saves when he was playing goalie, and when he wasn’t playing goalie he scored one of his team’s goals in a 4-2 win. I never cared for soccer until N started playing. Now I’m even learning some of the nuances of some of the calls (though offsides is still something of a mystery to me).
• One sign that N is growing up is that we are giving away the swing set in the backyard. He never plays on it anymore and tells me he’s outgrown such childish things. Sigh. . .
• Yesterday was the first day of truly nice weather this year – blue skies, warm temperature, gentle breeze. How I wish I could have spent more time than my lunch hour outside, and I look forward to the end of the work day today (as soon as I finish this post!) so I can get back out there.
• I was just listening to one of my favorite pieces of music – Vivaldi’s Concerto in C Major for Mandolin and Strings. It’s one of many fine pieces on the CD “Top Hits of 1750.” I love that title! How different it must have been to have a “Top Hit” in 1750 than it is now. I have to admit though that based on the CD I would say that 1750 was a very good year for music!
• I would love to own a harpsichord.
• W has agreed to watch N after school next year saving me over $1,200 in after school care fees. He seems to think I should be ever so grateful to him for such a generous move on his part. Pony up some child support buddy, and then I’ll be grateful.
• I miss playing music, singing, and acting. I must find myself a community theater group in which I can become involved. I need an outlet for the fine arts side of me.
• I discovered, the hard way of course, just how right the warning on one of my medications is. It warned that increased sensitivity to sunlight is one of the possible side effects. The sunburn I received almost four weeks ago is still peeling. Everywhere I go I leave DNA evidence (making the CSI’s job easier as they follow my trail of debauchery and devastation) as my skin falls off in lovely white flakes from my arms. Henceforth, and from now on, I will wear sunblock when outdoors during the day. In addition, I’ve considered long sleeves and scarves outdoors. I may look like I came straight from the Middle East all wrapped in clothing from head to toe, but at least I won’t be red and flaky!
• Of all the possible side effects listed for this medication, why did I get the increased sensitivity to sunlight instead of the decreased appetite? Can’t a girl catch a break occasionally? Oh that’s right, apparently the answer to that question is NO.

3 comments:

Val said...

I, too, thought I would be "outta here" this holiday weekend, but it wasn't meant to be... Z has been fighting the "ubiquitous virus" all week, w/a fluctuating fever that is finally giving way to cough/sore throat these past couple of days! (I took him to the pediatrician last Thurs, mostly to get M OFF MY BACK!) This AM his fever was 102, after a Dayquil cap it's now down to 99.6. I need to learn to appreciate a quiet weekend at home, eh?

Serenity said...

I wouldn't completely trust W on his promise. Make back up plans for child care; i don't think W's dependability on that front is all that hot. Just sayin'...

Desmond Jones said...

Maybe once she gets settled in her new place, Therese will let you play her harpsichord. . .