Friday, October 02, 2009

Sunday Stealing: A Fall Meme

Haven’t done the Sunday Stealing in a while. Just haven’t been feeling it and had other things on my mind. Today, however, my mind is in the fogged up state one gets when one has a cold. Ah, the first cold of fall, just in time to screw up every plan I had for the weekend. (Perhaps it’s God’s way of getting me to slow down. . . or perhaps it’s just that stupid woman’s fault at the book fair last week who walked around coughing on everything the entire time I was there. Meh. . . whatever.)

A Fall Meme

It’s not really fall in until... N starts asking about plans for his birthday party.

What did you need to do in the waning days of summer for it to feel complete? Spend Labor Day weekend with my parents.

A person I know was wrong for me but about whom I frequently thought after a break-up was... well, obviously J would be the correct answer here, now wouldn’t he?

If you could only attend one major sporting event what would it be? Fighting Illini in the NCAA national basketball championship. (And if any of you didn’t know this answer you haven’t been reading here long enough and/or carefully enough.)

Assuming that you write an anonymous or partially anonymous blog, by what non-physically identifying characteristics might you be identified in a bar? One of few people around here who regularly uses “y’all” in conversation, I’d be drinking a Jack & Coke off at a table all by myself looking incredibly ill at ease, and when I did speak sarcasm would pour from my mouth unabated.

Most blogs cover some sort of niche – personal, political, dating, culinary, etc. What topic, if any, would you like to address on your blog but doesn’t fit into your niche? Since my niche, as it were, is my life it is hard to find things that wouldn’t fit there. However, I suppose if I started posting fiction that wouldn’t really fit, but then again I've never really felt the desire to post fiction here.

If you could manipulate the time space continuum and give as many as three pieces of advice to a younger version of yourself, what advice would you give and to what age of you?
#1 – I would tell eighth grade me to be more of a rabble rouser and to speak my truth whenever appropriate whether others liked it or not.
#2 – I would tell college me to study more, drink less, and ignore boys.
#3 – I would tell 20-something me to not worry so much about having a man in my life and getting married and that Mom was wrong when she said you’re an old maid if you aren’t married by 30 and too old to have kids after you’re 30.

Who among your friends do you really wish had a blog because their stories, or perspective on something ought to be shared? Most of the women in my bi group.

If you were to take an e-cation (vacation from the trappings of our electronic world,) and assuming that employment obligations would allow it, how long of a break could you take? One month.
What would you miss the most, the least? Most would be constant contact with the people I know around the world with whom my only (or almost only) contact is through the computer. Least would be all the emails to sort through day after day.

On September 11th of this year, I attended a couple of parties and was somewhat conflicted by the fact that this ignoble anniversary shall pass with it being just another day in the eyes of many (and in some ways my own eyes as well.) Thoughts? I think that is the normal way of things. As time goes by, dates that were fraught with meaning tend to see that meaning fade whether it is a tragedy felt just by a few or one felt by a nation or the world.

How high are your walls? Okay, I’m taking this to be metaphorical walls, the ones I have built around me to protect me from the ugliness of the world. Mine are pretty damned high and getting higher all the time.
Who was the last person to scale them? The last person to scale them was BJ. I let him into my inner sanctum in a way few ever get to enjoy.
What tools should would-be climbers have on their belt?  The tools would-be climbers should have on their belt would be empathy, understanding, patience, and enough $$ to buy me the occasional Jack & Coke.

The sexiest thing a man or a woman can say to you (or has said to you) is: It feels so good to hold you in my arms.

1 comment:

Jeni Angel said...

BTW-When I read the question "Assuming that you write an anonymous or partially anonymous blog, by what non-physically identifying characteristics might you be identified in a bar?" I didn't look at the answer, I just yelled "JACK AND COKE" outloud. To no one. Like a crazy person.

If the shoe fits. . .