Monday, March 15, 2010

Sunday Stealing: Judd's Merged Meme

I didn't do last week's edition of Sunday Stealing. I wasn't sure if I would do this week's, but when I went and looked it over I decided to give it a go. Although some questions are ones I've previously answered there were enough new ones with some meat to chew on to make it worth my while. Besides it buys me a little time while I write a real post (and there is one just itching to get written).


1. What were you doing 10 years ago? Let’s see, 10 years ago I was working in my dream job, making more money than I make now, in a company half a country away from where I am now, and was mom to a one year old. I hadn’t totally given up on W yet back then. Life was pretty darned good.

2. Five snacks that you enjoy in a perfect, non weight-gaining world:
  1. Fritos with nacho cheese dip
  2. Chocolate peanut butter ice cream (preferably from Baskin Robbins)
  3. Giant soft jalapeño cheese pretzels
  4. Deep fried mushrooms and zucchini with ranch dip
  5. Mozzarella sticks with marinara dip

3. Five things you would do if you were a billionaire:
  1. Set up an educational trust fund for N
  2. Divorce W and give him a generous settlement
  3. Remodel my house
  4. Donate to my church and several favorite charities
  5. Buy exactly the car I want after choosing one based on thoroughly researching my options

4. Three of your habits:
  1. Drinking mass quantities of coffee
  2. Obsessively checking Twitter
  3. Playing with my hair, especially when it’s long like it is now

5. Five jobs that you've had:
  1. Babysitter
  2. Test tube washer
  3. Concession stand worker
  4. Auditor
  5. Accountant

6. Five places that you've lived:
  1. My parents’ house
  2. College dorm
  3. My Apartment
  4. My Mobile Home
  5. My House

7. Five things that you did yesterday:
  1. Went to church
  2. Got a mocha at a local coffee shop
  3. Read the newspaper
  4. Took a nap
  5. Watched the NCAA tournament selection show (which was, of course, a total waste of time since the Illini didn’t make it, and no don’t even try to console me with the fact that the Illini are a #1 seed in the NIT. Nobody cares about the NIT. The NIT is for also rans, losers, craptastic teams without what it takes to get to the big dance. Either the Illini make the NCAA next year or even I will be calling for Coach Weber’s head.)

8. Five people you would want to get to know more about:
(Let me preface by saying these are people I would want to get to know personally, not just reading up on them)
  1. Barrack Obama
  2. Paula Poundstone
  3. Wanda Sykes
  4. Bill Maher
  5. Johnny Depp

9. Abortion: for or against it? I think it is up to every individual to choose for themselves. I am not against people choosing abortion. If they think it is the right thing for them to do in their circumstances then I don’t think that I, or anyone else, should impose my will upon them.

10. Do you think the world would fail with a female president?
Seriously? Is this even seriously in question anymore? I scarcely think a female president could fuck up the world any worse than the male ones have.

11. Do you believe in the death penalty? Absolutely not. As long as there is the slightest chance that an innocent person could be executed the death penalty should never be an option.

12. Do you wish marijuana would be legalized already? It really makes no difference to me personally one way or another. However, if we allow alcohol to be legal then it seems silly to criminalize marijuana. Drunks seem a hell of a lot more dangerous to themselves and others than potheads do.

13. Are you for or against premarital sex? Again I think this is a personal choice. I think it should not be entered into lightly, but I also don’t think that a couple is going to hell just because they didn’t wait for the wedding night to consummate their relationship. Also, I would much rather a couple have premarital sex rather than marry too young just because they think they have to marry to have sex. Notice I’m answering this question very narrowly, limiting myself to premarital sex, using a pretty narrow definition of premarital. My answer may have been somewhat different if the question had been worded differently.

14. Do you think same sex marriage should be legalized? Absolutely! Gays should have just as much right to screw up their lives as the rest of us do. In spite of the flippancy of that last sentence I do believe strongly in allowing same gender couples to have the same rights and privileges as different gender couples. As a matter of fact, I have recently become a member of the leadership committee of a local organization dedicated to providing community resources to the LGBTQA population in our area.

15. Do you think it's wrong that so many Hispanics are illegally moving to the USA? Well, it is wrong in the sense that anything illegal is wrong. However, having personally known a few and even helping a couple once they were here, I cannot see that morally it was in any way wrong for them to do what they did.

16. Should the alcohol age be lowered to eighteen? No.

17. Should the war in Iraq be called off? Well, you can’t just call it off once you are there. It is a very tricky thing to get out gracefully once you’ve gone in with an iron fist. I certainly think, though, that we should be working toward getting out with as much alacrity as possible.

18. Assisted suicide is illegal: do you agree? I agree that it is currently illegal. I’m kind of on the fence about whether it ought to be or not. I see both sides of the argument and haven’t really come down on either just yet; still wrangling with this one.

19. Do you believe in spanking your children? In general, no. However, I have spanked N. The only thing I ever spanked him for was climbing on the glass coffee table. After unsuccessfully trying several other ways to keep him from climbing on it, I told him that from then on whenever he climbed onto the table he would get a spanking. He climbed on it twice more, both times with a smack on his diapered butt as a consequence, and he left it alone ever after.

20. Do you worry that others will judge you from reading some of your answers? Nothing I’ve shared here is any worse than things I’ve shared previously on my blog. Judge as you will. You always do.

No comments: