Monday, December 18, 2006

Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging


That's my personality type, ISTJ, or Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging. If you already know your personality type you can find descriptions at Typelogic. You can also find links there to take a test to find out your personality type.

Here are some excerpts from what they had to say about ISTJs:

ISTJs are often called inspectors. They have a keen sense of right and wrong, especially in their area of interest and/or responsibility. [Hence my crushing struggles over my recent behavior.] They are noted for devotion to duty. Punctuality is a watchword of the ISTJ. The secretary, clerk, or business (wo)man by whom others set their clocks is likely to be an ISTJ. [And it drives me crazy that others are not as punctual as I. Be on time, damn it!]
As do other Introverted Thinkers, ISTJs often give the initial impression of being aloof and perhaps somewhat cold. [Been told that many, many times.] Effusive expression of emotional warmth is not something that ISTJs do without considerable energy loss.

ISTJs are most at home with "just the facts, Ma'am." They seem to perform at highest efficiency when employing a step-by-step approach. [I've often said I just want step by step instructions for life and I'd be fine.] Once a new procedure has proven itself (i.e., has been shown "to work,") the ISTJ can be depended upon to carry it through, even at the expense of their own health. [Okay, not sure about carrying on with a procedure at the expense of my health!]

ISTJs are easily frustrated by the inconsistencies of others, especially when the second parties don't keep their commitments. [Yes, yes, yes! Why don't others keep their commitments?!?] But they usually keep their feelings to themselves unless they are asked. [True, which is why I blog, to track the feelings nobody asks about.] And when asked, they don't mince words. Truth wins out over tact. [Yes, I'm very big on truth, and it's killing me not to just tell W the plain unvarnished truth.] The grim determination of the ISTJ vindicates itself in officiation of sports events, judiciary functions, or an other situation which requires making tough calls and sticking to them. [Some might be offended to be described as having grim determination, but I like it. And it fits.]

His SJ orientation draws the ISTJ into the service of established institutions. Home, social clubs, government, schools, the military, churches -- these are the bastions of the SJ. [By golly, they've pegged me here too. I love being involved in church and various other organizations, often serving on boards and councils.] "We've always done it this way" is often reason enough for many ISTJs. Threats to time-honored traditions or established organizations (e.g., a "run" on the bank) are the undoing of SJs, and are to be fought at all costs. [I try not to be this way, but I am.]

Famous ISTJs:
Thomas (Christ's disciple)

U.S. Presidents:
George Washington
Andrew Johnson
Benjamin Harrison
Herbert Hoover
George H. W. Bush

Paul Coverdale (U.S. Senator, R-GA)
Jackie Joyner-Kersee (U.S. Olympic athlete)
Evander Holyfield, heavyweight boxing champion

Fictional ISTJs:
Joe Friday
Mr. Martin (hero of James Thurber's Sitting in the Catbird Seat)
Eeyore (Winnie the Pooh)
Fred Mertz (I Love Lucy)
Puddleglum, the marshwiggle (Chronicles of Narnia)
Cliff (Cheers)

Well, goodness, you might just as well have written a biography of me. Yes, I am pretty much all of the things described above. I have even compared myself to the likes of Eeyore many times, was captivated by Joe Friday and his "Just the facts ma'am" line, laughed at Fred Mertz and Cliff Claven but also kind of identified with them.

Thanks goes to Digger for sending me on this little quest to find out more about me. I already knew that my Myers Briggs type was ISTJ, but it's been a while since I've read up on me.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Aaaaaahhhh good old Myers-Briggs, been a while!

I'm an INFP - Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving

I did a Neo-PI (neuropsychological personalty inventory) a few years back (five factor model of personality), might make an interesting post;)