Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vote Early -- and Vote Often

The cynical phrases "Vote early -- and often" and "Vote early -- and vote often" are variously attributed to three different Chicagoans: Al Capone, the famous gangster; Richard J. Daley, mayor from 1955 to 1976; and William Hale Thompson, mayor from 1915-1923 and 1931-1935. All three were notorious for their corruption and their manipulation of the democratic process. It is most likely that Thompson invented the phrase, and Capone and Daley later repeated it.

Well I've done the first part -- I cast my vote in the election today thanks to the great state I live in giving voters the ability to early vote by showing up at the county clerk's office during designated times.

Now if I can just figure out how to make that often part work. ;-)

3 comments:

Sandman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandman said...

I just want to make sure all who want to and are able to vote across this country are allowed to vote, and have their vote properly recorded. None of this vote-flipping by some computerized systems. No voter purges, no voter caging, no voter supression.
A lot to hope for in this country.

Fusion said...

Yeah, I'm worried about the voter pruging I've heard about, hope that doesn't happen as much this time around...

I have to get out of Calif on the 2nd just to make sure I can vote. would have done absentee voting had I known I'd be here so long.

OMG! my word verf is "poopme"!!!