Tuesday, October 21, 2008

When Doctors Care. . .

I am still working on the post blogger weekend post. It's long and needs lots of links set up, and I'm still drained from my cold. But it's coming. . . possibly as early as late afternoon or early evening today.

This morning I had my first appointment with my new PCP since my old one abandoned me to go back to school. I love (that’s love, l-o-v-e, LOVE) my new PCP. She is awesome. She listened to me! She took me seriously. She was concerned about hearing about my concerns.

She told me that the hairiness on the injured leg is actually a good sign. It means there's plenty of blood flow. She also told me that it's normal for it to still be discolored and tender lo these many months later. She saw no sign of infection or other problems. Her main concern is that the hematoma not calcify, and in order to help that I need to walk. My dog will be thanking her for that prescription when he hears of it.

She referred me to a psychiatrist for my depression. She agrees that the Prozac isn’t doing the job if all it has done is bring me from severely depressed to minimally functional. She thinks if I get the depression under control it will help get some of my other issues taken care of (like the weight, bad eating habits, no exercise, etc). She told me that I deserve better than to be minimally functional. God bless this woman.

Anyway, when the front desk person went to make the psych appointment for me she found out that the psychiatrist had a cancellation at 3:00 p.m. today so I have an appointment today! We’re going to start working on me today! I will start on the path to getting better today! The me of tomorrow will be better than the me of today.

P.S. I know that there are no magic cures for depression. I know that no matter what happens at this afternoon's appointment I'm not going to be "normal" tomorrow. But I also know that I am now at least pointed in the right direction, and that's the start to getting better. . . one step at a time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! Glad to also hear the Doc appt went well..
Your enthusiasm projects so clearly here in your post! I'm so happy for you! Hooray!

One day at a time TS!!

Don said...

Good luck to you. I know for me, having the right therapist and receiving the right medication made a huge and noteworthy difference in my life. I hope it does the same for you.

Val said...

That's awesome... I was also humbly impressed by my therapist telling me I ought to write a book [after I sent her a link to my blog].