Friday, December 14, 2007

Action Plan

I need to think less and act more. Sitting around ruminating all day accomplishes nothing, absolutely nothing. So I say to myself, “Self” I say “let’s make an action plan.” Gee, that sounds good. So I sit and ruminate some more and make a list of tasks that ought to be done.

Funny thing though, still nothing has actually been accomplished. So I say to myself, “Self” I say “we should have more than just an action plan. We should have dates by which we intend to accomplish these actions.” Well, that can take a mighty long time, establishing deadlines for these actions, particularly when some will require further research to know what an appropriate deadline might be.

Still with nothing accomplished, I add two new tasks at the top of the list: (1) Determine research needed to establish timeline for action plan and (2) Complete needed research. “Self” I say “how will we know what research we need to complete to establish this timeline?” Well, that leads to a new column on the action plan so that each task now has not only columns for a description of the task and a deadline but also a column for research needed to set the deadline.

And I’m still not one whit closer to having accomplished anything.

I need to think less and act more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could have written this post - having been a "to do" list-maker all my life. I find that including on the list one or two items that I have already accomplished gives a sense of accomplishment that helps stimulate action towards the next item on the list.

Minds (at least mine) works in funny ways!

Val said...

How's that saying go? "Doing the same thing over & over again but expecting different results is the definition of insanity"** -- well, color me IN-SANE, then!!!
**I've heard several variations on this theme over the yrs
I hear ya babe!

Trueself said...

Six - Comforting to know I'm not the only one. I'll have to try that adding the already accomplished tasks to the list. Maybe that will help.

Val - Yes, I've heard that saying and would say that it definitely applies to me at times. Maybe you and I can bunk together when we end up in the looney bin.