Thursday, January 10, 2008

Car 1, Pedestrian 0

I left work today intending to have a busy evening. I needed to get home, have a quick dinner, get N to wrestling practice and get myself to a PTA meeting. I was also intending to sit down with W after PTA and tell him for real that the marriage is over. Yes, it was going to be a busy evening.

I walked out of the office and headed across the parking lot. It was already dark, and it was raining. It wasn't a heavy rain but enough to be annoying. As I walked across the lot I saw a car headed in my direction but had no idea that the car's driver was not paying attention. I was walking close to the curb and the car was coming up an aisle on my right. I thought it would stop at the end of the aisle. The driver said she never saw me. Well, it's not like I'm not a huge target. Also I had on light colored clothing. I suspect she wasn't keeping her eyes on what she was doing. She hit me with the front driver side corner of her car. As I was falling I felt the front tire run over my right foot. Then I was flat on my back on the cold wet pavement. She got out of her car and asked me if I was okay, but then said no of course not. Several people approached and I looked up at them in a daze. It just happened that a woman who looked familiar to me came to my side and started to take over, asking questions about what happened, where I hurt, who could she call and thge like. I wanted to tell her to call BJ, but he couldn't be there for me. Also, I thought I should wait and call him after I knew how bad off I was since he couldn't be with me. I knew W and N were expecting me home so I asked her to call them. I kept trying to place the helpful woman, but I was a little shaken up and couldn't think of who she was. I knew I knew her. It was only when she called W and introduced herself that I heard her say her name. Of course! The VP of Human Resources of our company. There is nobody better to have as a witness to a possible workers comp claim than the VP of HR.

As I gathered my wits about me, I started to mentally assess my injuries. My foot, obviously, was hurt, and my shoe had come off and gone goodness knows where. My foot wasn't hurting too badly yet. However, my upper lip was hurting like hell. I reached up and realized it was split as thow someone had punched me real good. How had that happened? I had no idea and still don't although I think perhaps something in my hand, either my keys or a casserole dish from a lunch potluck caught me in the mouth when I got hit. Did I hurt anywhere else? I made a mental tour of my body. Nope, everything else seemed to be okay.

The police arrived, followed by fire and rescue. We had lights. We had sirens. It was just like them there TV shows. I was the center of attention, surrounded by coworkers and rescue personnel and random strangers walking by. We had everything but the yellow crime tape. They loaded me into the ambulance and whisked me away to the local ER. As they wheeled me into the ER one of the nurses said that they'd had quite the rash of pedestrians hit by cars today. Apparently, we pedestrian casualties were a dime a dozen today.

Two hours later I was out of the ER with a splint on my ankle and hobbling on crutches. I was still clad in my soaking wet clothes and was thrilled to get home and change into a nightgown and plop down in my recliner with the footrest way up high.

So here I sit, busted lip and swollen bruised foot and ankle. I hurt. They offered me Vicodin at the hospital, but I turned it down. I've used it a few times in the past, and I feel worse with it than without it. I took three Advil when I got home. I suppose I'd feel worse without it. Tomorrow I'll probably hurt worse than now, but then it should start to get better.

8 comments:

Sandman said...

I'm glad you're ok.

freebird said...

Ouch ouch OUCH! Poor you.

Bit of an elaborate way for the gods to tell you to put off your evening's plans :-/

You take care now.
((X))

Bunny said...

OMG- I'm so glad you are going to be okay!

Desmond Jones said...

Oof! That's awful. So sorry to hear about this. . .

Glad to hear you're on the mend, tho, and the damages won't be of very long duration.

Val said...

OMG! Un-Bee-LEAF-able...
But I'm quite relieved that you got out from under that vehicle w/only cuts n' bruises...

Trueself said...

BJ - Me too.

FB - Yes, I had that same thought about divine intervention.

Des - I don't think the damages will last long. It's quite amazing how little damage a car can do to one's foot.

Val - No more relieved than I was, believe me!

Anonymous said...

Wow, sorry to hear about that. Hope you are recovering OK. That had to be just a wee bit scary.

Trueself said...

Xi - Just a wee bit, not much, just enough to make me grateful to be alive. ;-) I thought of Queenie and her recent escapade with her Aztek as I recuperated over the weekend. As harrowing as these things are, I marvel at how resilient God made our little human bodies.