Sunday, January 13, 2008

Warning: Whiny Bitch Ahead


So here I am, convalescing from being hit by a car. One might think being hit by a car, even a slow-moving one in a parking lot, would be cause for others within the household to want to care for the injured party.

To some extent, this has proven true. N has served me breakfast in bed two days in a row. W went and retrieved my car from the parking lot at work. W has also, begrudgingly, provided lunch and dinner each day since I was hurt. Other than that, I am pretty much left on my own to fend for myself. Nobody feels that they should provide me with companionship, someone with whom to converse or anything more than the occasional walk by to ask if I'm okay.

It's pretty much me, the laptop, the TV, and the phone, and we all know how much I love the phone. Of course, I have enjoyed talking to BJ on the phone each day. We've probably spoken for an hour or so each day since it happened, but today he is having a late Christmas celebration at his parents' house and has to help his daughter with something this evening so I'm all alone.

I'm bored. I don't feel that bad until I stop elevating my bad foot. After a few minutes of having it down it starts to hurt so it limits what I can do. I'm bored.

Maybe it's my fault nobody wants to spend time with me. Maybe I'm just that repulsive to everyone. I sure wish there was somebody out there somewhere willing to spend part of their Sunday afternoon with me. Sigh. . .


And just had another thought:
I've used this accident as an excuse not to wear a bra for the last three days. I figured if you have to be miserable you might as well be comfy doing it. You don't suppose having to look at me in my braless state has turned people off do you? I mean, it isn't as though I'm showing anything off here as I've been wearing loose shirts. Oh, and I did shower this morning too so I don't think I'm keeping people away for olfactory reasons.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far the braless look hasn't turned me off and driven me from dropping in for a word or two. Stay comfy.

stinkypaw said...

Sorry you're too far, I would have visited this pm!

Val said...

Aw man, speaking of repulsiveness I have "TMI" to tell you, but I'm going to send it in an email...
Hang in there <= I made a pun, ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Not likely, most fellas prefer braless.
Some folks just ain't nurturers and I'd guees that's more it than anything. I have only been laid up a few times and have found that of the 3 ladies I live with, one is a nurterer and the other two are decidedly not. Queenie will go so far as to have the girls bring me anything I need because she can't stand to see me 'like that'. She's even said on occasion that even though I'm older she hopes I 'go' first 'cause she knows she would never be a good care-taker.

Anyhow, enough of me. Glad to hear you are able to get up even if only to catch a shower. Hope your recovery goes well.

Bunny said...

Definitely the bralessness!

Seriously though, I think men and children have a hard time taking care of their wives/mothers. They are used to us taking care of them and don't know what to do when the roles are reversed.

When I was on bedrest during my last pregnancy, they seemed to forget I was there! I felt like an long-forgotten relative shut upstairs so as not to embarrass the family.

Trueself said...

SM - Of all the things I mentioned in my post you zeroed right in on the braless thing. Men. [rolls eyes, smiling]

SP - Thank you, though I'm not sure why you think it would be so far from Montreal to the great plains of the Midwest. Why a few hours on a plane, and you could be right here! ;-)

Val - Can't wait to read the email. I'm dying to know. . .

Xi - Another man, another focus on the bralessness. Sigh. . . ;-)

You are right though that some people are nurturers while others are much less so. Hmm, sounds like if you don't kick it first Queenie'll have you in a nursing home at the first opportunity. Not that there's anything wrong with that. . .

Bunny - I felt like an long-forgotten relative shut upstairs so as not to embarrass the family. Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself. One thing I'll say for it though is that it certainly doesn't encourage a person to convalesce any longer than necessary. Perhaps if I was being pampered I'd have skipped work again today.