Monday, January 14, 2008

Mishmash of Thoughts

It was hard going back to work today. My foot and leg are hurting after having it down much of the workday, not to mention the restroom is a lot farther from my cubicle than my bathroom is from my family room at home. One thing I learned today is that at work I will forever be known as "the lady who got run over in the parking lot." I feel so honored.

Since BJ introduced me to the Calorie Count website I've been faithfully tracking my daily food intake. So far my worst day has been a C, my best an A, and so far my average is B. I'm wondering if maybe I don't really need to do the liquid diet after all. Maybe I've gotten myself back on track. It would certainly be cheaper to do it myself than do the medically supervised thing. Then again, I like the jumpstart the liquid diet could give me. Decisions, decisions. . .

The claims investigator for the driver's insurance company called to tell me today that they have determined their insured is at fault (no shit sherlock) so they will assume financial responsibility for the damages. If I really wanted to get nasty, I suppose I could try to insist on a bigger payment for pain and suffering than what they are offering. I suppose there are those people in the world who would try to make a little profit out of this misfortune. I am not one of those people. When the investigator made his offer to me of all medical bills already incurred plus one day's pay for my missed day at work plus a small amount for my pain and suffering, I decided to accept it without negotiation. If they had offered less than they offered I would have negotiated, but because the amount offered to me was very similar to the amount I had in mind to request it seemed petty to fight over it. I'm really not that badly hurt so any compensation to me beyond actual medical bills seems like a good deal to me. So was it worth it to have my foot run over to get a little extra cash? Nope, not at all, no matter how much money they might have offered.

Today is the first day that it has been difficult for me to keep up with Blog 365. If it weren't for the fact that I signed up to post every day for a year I'd have probably posted nothing today. Turns out I had a lot to say for someone with nothing to say.

6 comments:

Val said...

That reminds me of my workman's comp injury: years ago I cut a tendon on the 3rd finger of my R (dominant) hand [don't ask; being rushed & getting careless when opening a DOG FOOD can!]
Several months afterwards, I received a check from the insurance company -- through their own obscure calculations, it was worth $1500 for me to have permanent flexion damage to that finger?!?
Whatever, I just went & deposited the check...

Anonymous said...

are you going to have the talk with W soon?

Bunny said...

I hope you are feeling well soon. As both a former insurance company attorney AND a former personal injury attorney, I would have held out for more, just because I know how the system works. At least here in Michigan.

Note to Val: I don't know what state you are in, but in Michigan Worker's Comp actually has a specified amount they pay for certain injuries. 2X for a thumb on the non-dominant hand, 4Y for a thumb on the dominant hand, X for a big toe, Q for a middle toe, 25X for an eye, 20 X for the non-dominant arm, etc. It is actually all spelled out by statute.

Summer said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling somewhat better but do you think you went back to work too soon? I like how you did the right thing and didn't try to get an outrageous amount of money for your injury. This country is lawsuit happy.

Trueself said...

Val - Sometimes it just isn't worth the trouble to fight over it.

Dina - I hope so.

Bunny - I know how the system works too. I was a state regulator for a while in my past. If it had been bigger and badder I may have pursued it more. As it is, I just want it over and done. Also, the amount I receive is little if any punishment to the driver who hit me. That's what I want more than anything, for her to be punished, to feel bad, than for me to profit in some way from the situation. Vindictive much? Oh hell yeah.

Summer - I think I did the right thing by coming back to work when I did. I wasn't that badly hurt physically, and I needed to get back to work and stop dwelling on the incident.

Val said...

Yeah Bunny, they sent me the whole chart (TX)... It was just strange to get a check out of the blue like that; the injury has caused me no true disability beyond the initial pain & suffering I caused myself by being such a careless dumbass!